WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Elements 5.0 file size

Old 14-03-07, 18:26

Default Elements 5.0 file size

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I apologise if this topic has been raised before. I am new to digital photography, having only recently been introduced to it from digiscoping birds and other wildlife. I use Elements 5.0, and have been using the quick edit facility. After being biten with the digital bug, I started to delve a bit deeper and got a copy of "the missing manual" by Barbara Brundage, which I can really recommend to anyone new to Elements. Having read about layers, and trying them for myself, I am impressed with the fact that changes can be undone later, even when the file has been closed. Here's where the problem arises. I use a Zeiss DC4 eyepiece/camera unit, which downloads jpegs roughly 2MB in size. If I use layers, I can save them in psd format with no problems. If I download shots from my 10.1MP sony camera, and edit using layers, when I save the file the organiser shows the saved file as an icon, with file too large written across it. I have searched through all the preferences files and can't find a file size allocation anywhere, except for the "save to web" setting, which is obviously for web pages, email etc. Does anyone know how I can save larger files without the error coming up?

hope someone can help, or at least point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 14-03-07, 20:56

I have never come across this and I would be interested to know the file size we are talking about.

I have a 220MB file that consists of 16 layers that shows up alright in the organizer.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 15-03-07, 11:01

Hi craftysnapper,

thanks for replying to my question. The file size might be a bit difficult to get exactly, as the organiser won't tell me anything but "file too large", but to give you an idea, I started with a 6MB file in the organiser, opened it in full edit, opened layers for levels, brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, and one for sharpness. Including the background that's 5 in total, and it won't save. Starting with a file from my DC4, with a file size of about 2MB, and doing the same layers gives me a file size of about 9MB. I've checked some other files that start with different file sizes and the maximum size after editing appears to be just under 10MB, and these save ok. It seems that any file taking more than 10MB gives me the "file too big" message. I've tried reloading Elements and I still get the same problem. My computer has 1/2GB ram, only Elements is running, and I've maximised the total memory available to Elements in the preferences, but I still get the same error message. It's as if there is a limit on the file size that Elements will handle, but I sure can't find it anywhere!
Hope this info gives you some more insight into the problem. I've definitely run out of ideas!
Cheers,

Jon
Old 17-03-07, 23:22

Well if you go to the file in explorer and hover your cursor over it then it will tell you the file size

Old 18-03-07, 00:18

Righto, will do. Tomorrow I'll edit a file and start with the original size and keep adding layers till I get the error message, and have a look at the size.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 22-03-07, 10:40

Hi Craftysnapper,

just an update on the file size problem. I noticed that some of my Excel spreadsheets wouldn't save, just gave me a "Windows has detected a problem" and asked me if I wanted to send an error report. This I duly did, a couple of days later an upgrade arrived, and surprise, surprise, Elements now works perfectly, as well as my Excel. Looks like it was a Windows corruption somewhere. I'm now happily saving files with lots of layers in them.

cheers,

Jon
Old 22-03-07, 23:17

Alls well that ends well