WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

picture size?!?!

Old 28-02-07, 23:46

Default picture size?!?!

Hi guys.I signed up to this site a few days ago and was really looking forward to showing off my photo's but have been having trouble....yet again!!! It's a problem with picture sizes.
I have a Nikon D70 and as yet am not 100% with understanding it fully.How do i find out what picture size to use in relation to the amount of pixels that are permitted.When i look at picture sizes on the camera Large=3008X2000 Medium=2240X1488 and Small=1504X1000.Am i correct in thinking small is ok to use?
I think i need more help than i first tought
Old 01-03-07, 01:06

The size of the picture that comes out of your camera is not important when it comes to posting things on to a website. You can get software that will allow you to resize a picture to something smaller, your camera probably came with software that can already do that. Do not save the the resized picture over the original but rename the file as you do it. So if your original is called Image01001.jpg save your resized image as Image01001-web.jpg for example.

As for which size tod use to take the originals you should use the largest possible that way you have more information to play with and can get larger size photos printed with out losing any quality.
Old 01-03-07, 10:54

I do have software from my camera although i've never really looked at it properly.I did try resizing some of my raw photos in photoshop by going to "file" and then resize for posting on the web.I tried that on 3 photos but each time i submit them it say's file size is too big! What am i doing wrong?
Old 01-03-07, 11:07
Chris

For the time being (until you get Nikon Capture, see thread thereon below) convert your RAW full size, but keeping the original as Walwyn says. In PS(E4) use 'save for web' and adjust first size to 1024max width &/or 768max height (to suit most folks screens) and then quality slider until file size gets below 300kb and use file name with R suffix or something.

Being a Canon & mac user and PS hater can't help in detail, but from a brief play I had with Nikon capture (you should be able to get 30 day free trial), everything can be done with great precision and intuitive interface there without going further, except maybe to correct horizontals (as with Canon DPP).

Look forward to those pics coming through

Last edited by Chris; 01-03-07 at 11:10.
Old 01-03-07, 11:30

Having resized the photos you'll need to play with the level of compression as daedal says. Depending on image a 1000x750 jpg can be upwards of 1MB at 100% jpg quality. Usually I can get away with between 80-100% quality but sometimes I've needed to drop down to as low as 60%. Interestingly a recent photo of mine that was 350K at 95% dropped to 150K at 90%.
Old 01-03-07, 11:58

Thanks for the tips,i'll give it a go.
Old 01-03-07, 16:01

Further to walwyn's post, I'd say you can compress your jpeg's down to about 70% without any great loss of detail, as long as you are viewing on a web page. You should be able to get your file sizes to no more than 1024 pixels wide (landscape format) or 800 pixels high (portrait format) and less than 150kB without any appreciable loss of picture quality for viewing on a web page.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-07, 19:44

Polo; If you promise me not to get into bad habits or bad place, I would strongly recommend you to go through this tutorial that is very useful if you use PS or even without it, just to get the broad aspect of what is going on with resizing and sharpness, in short preparation for web placement of image.

- - - L I N K - - -

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 02-03-07, 09:44

Cheers foe that sassan,i'll give it a whirl.Hopefully i'll have something to show soon!
Old 02-03-07, 12:07

Hello again Sassan,just thought i'd drop you a note to say i read the link you sent me,very helpful.I posted a few photo's on the critique forum.Can you have a look and tell me what you think please.Thanks,Polo