View Single Post
Old 07-12-08, 16:14

Johnny,

I can confirm that the Xerox 6125N comes complete with 4 toner cartridges. They are however, not as full of toner as a replacement set of cartridges, they only contain about 1/2 the full capacity of toner dye.

As for turning on/off, the Xerox has an auto sleep power save mode, with a time delay setting in the "properties" dialogue box. It just goes to sleep after a time of inactivity. Send a job to the printer and it wakes up, does the job, goes back to sleep again. I never turn it on or off as such. I tried measuring the power drain in sleep mode and found it too low to measure reliably, so I wouldn't worry about the electric bill.

Lasers do not use liquid ink in the way that inkjets do, there is no head cleaning as such, there is no toner wastage. For the same reason, they do not clog. This is the main reason I switched to laser. I print very infrequently and with inkjet, I invariably found that the heads had clogged since I last used the printer several weeks earlier. This never happens with laser. Also, the speed of output is massively quicker with laser. Hit the print button, there's a delay of about 10-15 seconds and then the job comes churning out, page after page in rapid sucession.

The down side of lasers is that they really can't produce the photo like quality of an inkjet. I use either a local camera shop for small prints that I want doing, or photobox for a bigger print if needed. I don't miss injet or home photo printing one little bit and would take very much persuading to swap back from laser now. It all depends on what you want from your printer, but for an everyday workhorse, I'm a convert.

Nothing odd about the Amazon deal at all, it's quite usual for one of the "other" sellers to be cheaper than Amazon's own price. I'd check the feedback from any of the marketplace sellers before placing an order.

Duncan